Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Canes, Take 2

As I was uploading some videos this morning, I contemplated posting this one.  In fact, I was almost feeling discouraged by it.  To the "untrained" eye, this is just another video of Ellie struggling to walk with her canes, I thought.  I didn't want you, my beloved blog readers, to be bored by content that's seemingly similar to the movie I posted 2 weeks ago.  I didn't want you to secretly say, "I don't see ANY difference between this movie and the last one..."

BUT.

Then I watched the video from 2 weeks ago (you can find it here) and realized that Ellie's improvements ARE pretty spectacular and obvious!  Only 14 days ago, Gabby was having to put her foot inbetween Ellie's legs every time she took a laboured step with her cane.  Otherwise, Ellie's legs would criss-cross (or, scissor).  Only 2 weeks ago, our goal for Ellie was to have her walk from the middle of the classroom to the door (maybe 15 feet). 

NOW...

She is walking from the classroom all the way to the snack room (75 feet or so), AND BACK!  Gabby doesn't have to use her feet to keep Ellie's from scissoring.  The only thing that Gabby is doing on this new video is stabilizing the canes.  Ellie is doing all the moving, all the stepping, all the standing. 

Sorry for doubting you, my amazing Jelly B'Ellie!


PS: I know I sound super-excited while taping this video. Of course, every time I see Ellie walk with canes, I'm pumped, but I *was* being overly dramatic (who? me?) here as an incentive to Ellie. She loves nothing more than to impress people, so I was hamming it up a bit :-).

7 comments:

  1. Chrystie,
    I just watched both videos, and there is an amazing improvement!
    Way To Go Ellie!!!!
    We are still thinking of you and praying for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ham it up any way you can! She deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I see huge changes! What an increase in strength and stamina! You had every reason to be cheering her on so! We do the same with Malayna. I could never be bored with watching this amazing girl! She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has come a long way since she first told us, "Those canes don't work so good." ;-) Way to go Ellie!

    Hey, encouraging your kid isn't hamming it up. That's just being a good mom! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! The improvements are obvious! I also could never get bored watching that girl walk. It's a big deal. Also, I personally loved the cheering. Emma works best that way too. We actually get pretty darn dramatic--even ridiculous at times. Keep up the great work guys! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chrystie,

    I'm quite certain you don't know me- but you might be able to place me as the blonde girl on the Movement Centre video. I've been enjoying "lurking" on both your blogs since the beginning of January. Three cents to put in:

    1. Ellie's walking is really coming along. I speak from experience when I say that walking with canes is HARD in the beginning, but doubtless she'll be cruising in no time. It's great to see SDR is beginning to show positive results.

    2. I was at camp at the same as Ellie last July, and her Chris-crush was almost adorable enough to make my whole summer :)

    3. You guys should hit up the mall after class one day to epand her Conductive Wardobe, princesses mustn't appear in the media wearing the same thing twice LOL. I too appear in every CE video wearing the same outfit. :)

    Best wishes,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello? Spell Check? "The word is expand, Danielle." hahaha

    ReplyDelete