Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Work It!

Survive the first day of intensive therapy: check!

Ellie did it!  Today she had her first full, 3-hour conductive education class at the Conductive Education Center of Orlando (CECO).  I was worried that she might protest with some tears when I left the classroom, but she was so distracted by her new friends that she didn't even notice me leave!  There were 3 other kids in her class today and Ellie was very interested in getting to know them :-).

I was able to take small peeks into the classroom every once and a while and I observed Ellie working HARD!  The first hour consisted of massage and stretching.  The second hour included walking, and other "locomotion" activities and the third hour concentrated on standing and sitting.  That's a lot of physical activity!  I was very impressed with her conductor/instructor, as she seemed very knowledgable and kind.  Ellie really seems to like her, which is a definite plus.

For a first day, I thought Ellie did super-great!  She was tired and grumpy on the ride home, but she needs to get back into her physical routine.  I'd be grumpy too :-).  I am confident that every day will be a little bit better and that she's going to accomplish awesome things at this place!

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures for y'all.  I had to sign a 500-page legal document, promising I wouldn't take photos of the class, as to infringe on another kid's privacy.  Ellie is the only child in class one day per week, so maybe I'll take that time to do some camera-snapping.  Until then, forgive me!

2 comments:

  1. So glad it went well. You know how much I am into Conductive Education. We still have not put Emma into a class yet, as none are close. One day though. In the meantime, I am excited about seeing Ellie soar. Go Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy it went well. Looking forward to hearing about her major accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete