Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If I Knew You Were Comin', I'da Baked A Cake...

This year, Ellie received her very first gift card as a birthday present.  Or, more accurately, the first gift card that we actually let HER use!  She has become a bit of a shopping diva and loves to pick out toys and clothes.  Especially at Super Target.  Oh, yes.  We're only in the States for a few months, but I have quickly taught the girl well. 

So, with Auntie Cherise's gift card in tow, Ellie and her dad perused the aisles of Super Target and she chose to buy an Easy Bake Oven.  She's going to be a world-famous chef, just like her mama!

I'm sure that Ellie's occupational therapist would be happy, as there is ample opportunity for fine motor practice with the hands-on Easy Bake.  (For those who are wondering if the SDR surgery resulted in fine motor improvement for Ellie, I would have to lean towards "no".  She has improved in that area, but I think it's a result of age and practice.  Dr. Steinbok said that we might see significant improvement in this area, but we shouldn't expect it.  He only operated on the nerves which send messages to Ellie's legs, so any residual upper body effects would be a big bonus.)

What follows is a pictoral synopsis of Ellie's Easy Bake Adventures:

1. Stir up the water...



2. Add the outrageously overpriced packaged mix to the water.  Stir...

3.  Put the batter into the huge pan....WITHOUT eating it first!


4.  After waiting (not so) patiently, listen for the Easy Bake Light Bulb Oven to beep, and then carefully pull your masterpiece out...


5. Show fellow Chef Extraordinaire (Mommy) the amazing cake.  Hope you're hungry because we'll each get a piece at least the size of a finger nail!

5 comments:

  1. That's hilarious. I am glad she is happy with her new oven. I bet it is great OT practice doing all those little activities. Go Ellie. It's pretty fabulous that she can do all that solo. I was so clumsy at her, and I still am at thirty something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Easy Bake! every little girl has to easy bake at least once, such a feeling of accomplishment and of being a 'big girl'. I must say, as a fellow American, good on you for the super target training at such a young age. Its still my favorite place to shop! (jacqui)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Ellie's independence and determination combined with your wit just made me smile! What fun for all of you! Hope your fingernail sized piece of light bulb baked cake was yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is soo cute!

    ReplyDelete