Friday, May 28, 2010

Toodaloo

Goodbye Orlando.  You have been good to us....thanks, in part, to the toll roads, which, while robbing us dry, allowed us to bypass any significant rush hour traffic when leaving the therapy center at 5:30 every weekday.  City life, sans traffic, is my best!

Goodbye Conductive Education Center of Orlando.  You have been beyond good to us.  Words simply cannot express how we have fallen in love with so many people who grace your hallways every day.  The people who have loved on Ellie to the point of tears.  The people who have believed in Ellie from the moment she slowly walked through the door.  The people who have work tirelessly to ensure that other Ellies can receive the same sort of treatment and education.  The people that Ellie has asked about first thing every morning: "Which kids are going to be there today?"  "Who's going to be my helper?"  The people who have dropped their kids off to "work hard" with Ellie for 3 hours and, in turn, have become sweet new friends to me.  Mmm.  It's a wonderful place and we will miss it dearly.

Goodbye palm trees.  And warm winters.  And hot summers.  And the weird, mystery fruit tree in our back yard.  I have enjoyed you every day.  I have also enjoyed the team of gardeners that weekly tend to you.  Nothing is better than taking in the beauty of yardwork performed by other people.

Goodbye swimming pool.  Oh, how we will miss you!  My previous bathing suit lasted 4+ years (though it probably should have retired by year 3).  Now, I'm looking to replace my swimsuit of 6 months!  We have had a LOT of fun in the water this winter and spring.

Goodbye beach.  Thank you for providing Ellie with hours of sand castle-building and salt water-tasting fun.  (Thank you, also, to the inventor of the portable vaccuum cleaner.  That sand gets EVERYWHERE!)

Goodbye Einstein Brothers Bagels.  Sniff, sniff.

Goodbye Caroline.  Actually, I really mean BYE, Caroline.  While you are a cute 10-year-old neighbor, I could have done without the noise of your pink Barbie car at 7am on Saturday mornings.  But, Ellie is fond of you and I'll miss her asking, "Is Caroline looking at us?"  every time we pull into the garage.

There are, of course, many other "little" things that my heart will miss about Orlando, about Florida, about the South, and about the States.  Our time down here has been blessed.  We are so thankful. 

We look onward and upward (literally) as we start our long journey home.  See ya next Sunday from the other side!
Our special goodbye picture with "the twins".  Sweet Sophia and Ellie are so similar in personalities and abilities, it's funny!  Ellie refers to Sophia as her "Florida Best Friend".  I've had a great time getting to know Sophia's mom too.  Here's to the "Thursday Crew"!

This was the stuff I was sending down on the elevator.  Yikes.  It's gonna be one full van!  Pray for safety as we likely won't be able to see out the back window!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Chrystie! I can't believe this part of your journey is over! It seems like just yesterday you were fretting so over the SDR surgery. It has been amazing to watch Ellie's progress and to see how far she's come and the fun you've had along the way. I hope you'll continue to keep this blog (or your other one) up to date with Ellie updates. I just cannot get enough of that sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete